How often do floors need to be stripped and waxed? Learn more about the recommended frequency of industrial floor cleaning in this article.
Your flooring says a lot about your business, so keeping it clean and well-maintained is critical to make an excellent first impression. It not only provides better experience for your employees, but also helps you establish more trust with your customers.
Stripping and waxing is the best approach to keeping your flooring in good condition.
However, a lot of companies are wondering: how often do floors need to be stripped and waxed? What is the recommended timeframe for getting professional floor cleaning services for your restaurant, warehouse or office building?
In this article, we will discuss how frequently floors should be stripped and waxed, and why you need this service to get an excellent looking floor that gives customers the best impression of your business.
So, without further ado, let’s get right into it.
What Does It Mean For a Floor To Be Stripped And Waxed?
One of the first things people notice when they enter your office building, storage facility, warehouse or other establishment, is the cleanliness and maintenance of your flooring.
Most people think that mopping up the floors regularly is enough to keep the flooring clean and well-maintained. However, over time, the floors do get stains and scratches, which can be hard to clean on our own.
So there are a few more precautions to keep your flooring in good condition. One of the most effective ways to do so is by stripping and waxing.
If you are unaware of the terms, floor stripping and waxing are essential maintenance procedures that help keep your floors looking great.
The “stripping “procedure involves removing old layers of wax and debris to give the floors a like-new appearance and to safeguard them from further deterioration. Waxing is applied to provide the floor with a glossy finish and protect it from dirt and scratches.
How Are Floors Stripped and Waxed?
When it comes to stripping and waxing, floor cleaning companies use professional equipment such as floor buffers and auto scrubbers to make sure that they are getting the best results for your floor.
Industrial equipment is faster and more powerful than regular commercial equipment, helping professionals ensure that the floors are perfectly stripped and waxed from corner to corner.
For this reason, it is not recommended to do this procedure on your own, especially if you don’t have the right equipment, products, and safety clothing.
Why Do Floors Need to be Stripped and Waxed Regularly?
Most types of flooring need to be regularly cleaned and maintained to keep them looking their best. However, it’s not only about the aesthetic and creating a great first impression: it’s also about safety.
Scratches, dirt, and slippery areas on the floor can be a safety hazard for your employees and customers, and preventing danger is always better than dealing with the consequences of it.
However, sometimes more than cleaning is required. Below are some reasons you need professional stripping and waxing services for your business.
- To make your flooring more appealing: Perfectly stripped and waxed flooring improves the aesthetics of your workplace and makes it more attractive.
- To reduce noise: Apart from appearance, it also saves your ears from the noise that’s produced when people walk on a rough floor. Clean floors make for quieter environments, which helps reduce noise levels in your home or workplace.
- To Improve Health: Dusty floors can cause sore eyes, coughing, and difficulty breathing, leading to other health issues such as asthma attacks or pneumonia.
- To protect your flooring: floor stripping and waxing are essential for floor preservation and protection against deterioration and damage. Additionally, it can also help extend the life of your flooring.
- To protect individuals: when dirt accumulates between flooring layers, it can make the surface slippery. Regular stripping keeps people safe by preventing them from sliding, falling, and getting injured.
- To keep the floors hygienic: Regular stripping and waxing help to keep the floors hygienic and clean.
How Often Should Floors be Stripped and Waxed?
Ideally, industrial floors should be stripped and waxed every three to six months, especially in the case of heavy-traffic commercial spaces like restaurants, shopping malls, large office buildings, and other types of businesses.
Of course, the answer isn’t that straightforward either. Various factors determine how often floors need to be stripped and waxed, some of which are discussed below.
1. The type of flooring you have
Wood-plastic composite, laminate, and ceramic are different types of flooring with additional needs. The frequency of stripping and waxing also depends on the kind of flooring.
- If you have hardwood or tile, they should be stripped and waxed every six months.
- If you have carpeting or vinyl, they should be stripped and waxed every three months. Also, some types of flooring, such as vinyl and linoleum, require additional care in the form of stripping and waxing.
- If your floor is made of wood or laminate, it should be stripped and waxed more often than if made out of concrete or tile. Wood floors can warp over time and must be stripped more often than vinyl or laminate floors.
2. The amount of daily foot traffic your floor receives
It is the most significant factor to consider when deciding how often to have stripping and waxing services.
This is important because too much traffic will cause wear and tear on your floors, which means they need more frequent cleaning than if they were only occasionally used by family members or friends who do not walk on them often enough for them to need daily cleaning.
Schools, hotels, restaurants, and hospitals are some buildings that receive heavy foot traffic every day. These businesses would require stripping and waxing services more frequently than others.
Another critical factor is the location of your flooring. The floor of your conference room is less likely to get dirty and suffer from wear and tear compared to the entrance area. So the latter would demand waxing services more often as it receives more daily traffic.
4. The condition of your flooring
If your flooring is in good shape and is cleaned regularly, you will have to invest in stripping and waxing less frequently than if it is dirty and damaged.
5. Regular maintenance
To keep your flooring in good shape and well-maintained, you should clean the floors regularly. One factor determining how often stripping and waxing should be done is your cleaning ritual. If you clean your floors regularly, they will become more resistant to wear and tear and damage.
The frequency with which floors need to be stripped and waxed varies depending on the type of flooring and the amount of traffic it receives. Generally speaking, floors should be stripped and waxed every 3–6 months.
However, this can vary depending on the specifics of your situation.
How Much Do Stripping and Waxing Services Cost?
Stripping and waxing services are priced per square foot. However, it is hard to determine the exact cost because there are multiple factors that will affect the final price:
- Determining the total cost of the overall service
- Labor charges
- The size of the floor
- Location of the area, etc.
What if You Don’t Want to Strip and Wax Your Floors?
Although the decision is yours, failing to use stripping and waxing services can have severe consequences for your flooring and your wallet.
Repairing the damage will be more challenging if your floors go longer than necessary without expert cleaning, stripping, and re-waxing.
And you might have to replace the whole flooring, which can cost an arm and a leg. So ensure you get your floor stripped and waxed regularly to save yourself from the high cost of replacing the floor.
Bonus Tips to Keep Your Floors Clean
Keeping your floor clean and maintained helps to reduce the frequency of stripping and waxing your floors. Here are some tips you can use to keep your floors clean and germ-free.
- Prevent dust from entering your house or workplace.
- Clean it up as soon as a stain or mark appears on the floor.
- Install floor mats inside and outside doors to keep dirt off your flooring, as shoes bring a lot of dirt and germs.
- Mopping the floor regularly helps keep dust at bay.
- If the floor is carpeted or hardwood, you must frequently vacuum the area to eliminate the dust.
However, regular cleaning and maintenance doesn’t mean that you should skip professional stripping and waxing. On the contrary, it will be a must to ensure that your flooring is in excellent shape and provides safety from potential hazard.
So, How Often do Floors Need to be Stripped And Waxed?
How often do floors need to be stripped and waxed? There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the frequency of stripping and waxing will depend on several factors, such as the type of flooring, the amount of foot traffic, and the environment in which the floor is located.
However, as a general rule of thumb, most floors need to be stripped and waxed every 5 to 6 months. This will ensure that the floor is kept in good condition and looks its best.
It is best to consult a professional if you are still determining how often your floors need to be stripped and waxed. They will be able to evaluate your particular circumstance and provide you with customized recommendations.
Is It Worth Investing in Expert Stripping and Waxing Services?
Do you know that 2021 saw a record-breaking $26.701 billion in flooring sales, a 16.3% increase over the previous year’s $22.951 billion? And according to the statistics, the global market is expected to grow by 5.6 percent by 2030.
The results demonstrate that more businesses are choosing professional stripping and waxing services. Businesses’ demand for convenience and aesthetics is the main factor driving this rise in the flooring industry. So investing in expert services to make your workplace appear its best is wholly justified.
Are you ready to get started? Contact TCS Floors to get professional stripping and waxing services.